Pages

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Selfishness

Sometimes I wonder how selfish a person can be. I finally learned today.

"BUT FELICITY! Why can't I get the new Marc by Marc Jacobs purse," Rebecca whined. A few days after I arrived, I learned that Rebecca is the drama queen if us dolls. And she deserves that title.
"Rebecca, you know why. The first reason is that the purse costs over $500. The second reason is that you wouldn't share it with your sisters. And I'm not buying a purse that expensive for just you," Felicity replied back.
"Yes I would, I would, I would!" Everybody knew she was lying. As soon as she got that purse, she wouldn't let it go.
"Rebecca, we all you know you too well. You would take that purse and growl at us if we even tried to look at it," Savannah said.
"I wouldn't do such a thing!"
"Oh, yes you would!"
"No. I. WOULDN'T!," Rebecca screamed. She stormed off to her pink, frilly, lace-filled bedroom. Everybody stared at each other for what seemed like hours. Finally, Elizabeth spoke.
Well, I have to go. Hanna said that she would take me to the park earlier for some pictures. Bye," Elizabeth told us. She went into her bedroom, preparing for "doll state" (that's where the human controls your movements). Mia was the next one to speak.
"I'm going ice skating with Anya and Amber at 4 so I have to go." She grabbed her skates from the accessories bin and walked out the doll room door.
"Bye Mia," I silently said, only loud enough for me to hear.
Slowly, one by one, dolls entered their rooms. I was left standing there in the middle of the room, alone once again. I slowly made my way to the end of the room, towards my own room. As I entered my room, I had a sudden urge to draw. I set up my easel and it all came out. I remembered the fight clearly. Rebecca was wearing her knee-high, brown suede Gucci boots. She had on her Old Navy trench coat, the only item she had that wasn't couture. Underneath was her favorite Yves St. Laurent blouse and her denim short-shorts. She smelled of Chanel No.19, and her curly hair fell around her shoulders. Felicity was standing across from her, her red hair pulled into a half ponytail. She wore the Petal Pink dress from AG and her mouth was in a defiant line. My other sisters were gathered around them, me in the corner. Savannah, Elizabeth, Julie, Katie stood in the front row of the scene. Behind them stood Marisol, Mia, and me. Rebecca had her arms raised and her mouth was open wide, yelling something at Felicity. I made the view as if you were standing in the back row with us, trying to see over Savannah's big head. Behind them sat the bins for doll accessories, shoes, and hats. I finished the drawing and took out my water colors. After an hour of coloring in the scene, I was finished. I had left a small space in the corner for my signature. I took the black paint and signed my name and titled the work. "Rebecca's Antics". I hung it up to dry in the clothes pins I had lined up on the wall. I went to the bathroom to wash my hands, struggling not to get paint on the doorknob. Once I came back to the room, I picked a book from my desk and sat down on my bed to read. I felt happy and none of Rebecca's antics could lessen that.

Love,
Hayden

No comments:

Post a Comment